We focus so much on managing our TIME but we rarely focus on managing our ENERGY. Some work drains us and leaves us exhausted. Other work actually energizes and sustains us.
Here’s a three step exercise to optimize your energy.
1) Make a list of all the activities you do in a typical week. For each one, note whether the work drains you or energizes you.
2) Take the items that DRAIN you and ask yourself:
- Can I stop doing this entirely?
- Can I delegate this to someone who would be energized by doing it?
- If I’m the only one who can get it done, when’s the best time to do it? Can I change HOW I do this work?
3) Take the items that ENERGIZE you and rank them by priority (i.e. how important they are to your success).
- For items of high priority ask yourself, how can I spend more time doing this work?
- For items of low priority ask yourself, should I be doing this work? If so, when? (Note: often we spend time doing work that energizes us even if it’s not important)
We can’t always control the work that needs to get done, but the better we understand ourselves and what energizes us, the more effectively we can operate.
I’d love your feedback. How do you manage your energy?